“Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.” –Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
I love these verses. Why? Because they describe what we preach in the fitness world all the time.
I am tell anyone who walks in my gym to find a buddy.
- Find someone who can keep you accountable.
- Find someone who will keep you in line with your goals when you are tired or sore.
- Find someone who will help you be your best you.
- Find someone who can tell you when you need an attitude check.
- Find your accountabilibuddy. (Note: That is my own word, but I think it fits perfectly.)
So, I have created 4 items you should look for in an accountabilibuddy.
Five things you should look for and use to help you find one who will keep you on track.
- Make sure they are HONEST. No matter what. There are going to be times when we need the truth- that we have been sitting around too much eating potato chips or skipping workouts. Don’t find someone who will just tell you what you want to hear. Find someone who will keep you on track, even if the truth hurts a little bit.
- Make sure they are SUPPORTIVE. Your accountabilibuddy should be your biggest supporter. Your cheerleader. Your fan club. Make sure you have someone who can cheer you on along the way. An encourager. Someone who is positive.
- Make sure you TRUST them. If you don’t trust your accountabilibuddy, you won’t listen and be ok with them being honest or supportive. You need someone you can share your struggles with and your successes. Your honesty and success will depend on your trust in that person.
- Make sure you ENJOY their company. This one is simple: enjoying the company of your buddy is important. Find someone you like spending time with, not just someone who has the same goals as you do.
We all are stronger together.
We are hard wired for connection, which means we were created to have relationships. So find someone who will help you be better and support you when times are tough- when workouts are hard or when life makes it difficult to eat healthy. But find someone as well who will celebrate your joys and success and rejoice with you over the hard work you put in to your health, fitness, and life.
Amanda Mercer is a personal trainer and fitness presenterwho loves ALL things active and competitive. Chances are good, if you see her, she’ll be in workout clothes (always matching of course) and either running, biking or lifting. Her goal is to help you strengthen the fearfully and wonderfully made person that YOU ALREADY ARE and recognize that fitness and faith together will help you not only feel better but also be even more successful in all that you do. For more workout ideas, follow her blog & Instagram!
Read more posts like this: