I stumbled upon this most beautiful verse during my morning devotions. It spoke so much to my heart that I want to share it with you as well:
In the multitude of my anxieties,
Your comforts delight my soul.
I just sat there, on the “bloop” (the word we coined for a ginormous memory foam beanbag that sits under our loft’s skylight), and marinated in those words.
As someone who struggles with anxiety (see more on that here), my soul needs to delight in His comforts.
So I started wondering: What are the comforts God gives?
I did the only obvious thing: Begin Googling Scripture verses about comfort on your phone. (Haha.) Here’s the list I’ve started of Scriptures about the comforts God gives us:
- His word. (Psalm 119:50: “This is my comfort in my affliction; for Your word has given me life.”)
- His merciful kindness. (Psalm 119:76: “Let, I pray, Your merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to Your word to your servant.”)
- His promised return. (1 Thess. 4:16-18 says that we can comfort each other with the promise of His return.)
- His guidance and discipline. (Psalm 23:4: “Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.”)
- The fact that He is always with us. (Isaiah 41:10: “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.”)
(What would you add to this list? You can share in the comment section below!)
What I think is just THE COOLEST is how God comforts us in difficult times, and then allows us to use that same comfort He showed us in order to help others. It’s like, we get to give and receive God’s comfort through other people! (See 2 Corinthians 1:3-5.)
This was my favorite of all the verses I found on comfort:
“For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.” (2 Corinthians 1:5)
I am so thankful for the comfort He gives. So thankful that He comforts all who mourn and gives us beauty and joy instead of ashes and sadness (Isaiah 61:1-3).
Whatever anxieties you may be facing, I pray that today your soul would be delighted in the multitude of His comforts.